At North Island College there are four core learning platforms your instructors may use: Blackboard Learn (a learning management system for content, quizzes, grades and discussions), BlueJeans (a web/video conferencing platform for live sessions), Kaltura/NIC MediaSpace (a video recording, storage and streaming platform to watch video, create video and upload it) and WordPress (a blogging and website platform for creating portfolios, collections of your work, blog posts etc.)
Some instructors may use just Blackboard Learn, some may use BlueJeans and Kaltura/NIC MediaSpace and some may also use WordPress. It all depends on your course and instructor. This page and PDF document outline the four platforms and give you some helpful links and information: Download PDF Version
NIC-hosted digital course learning environment allowing for password-protected content, discussion forums, class collaboration, assignments, testing, grades etc.
- NIC Access – Students: via MyNIC or directly at website: https://learn.nic.bc.ca/
- NIC Login – Students: with NIC credentials: username (students: 7-digit student number including the ‘n’; instructors – credentials you use to access webmail/computer) and password
- Student Mobile App: Website
- Company – Student Supports: Blackboard Help For Students or
Videos for Students
- NIC Support – Students: Student Technical Services or Blackboard Learn videos found under Learning Technologies (Students) on NIC MediaSpace
Canadian-hosted desktop/web videoconferencing platform for instructors to host live web classes, online office hours, webinars, student presentations, student activities, communicate with students etc.
- App for Desktop and Mobile: Downloads Webpage
- Company– Student Supports: BlueJeans Site or Support Videos
- NIC Support – Students: Student Technical Services or BlueJeans videos found under Learning Technologies (Students) part of NIC MediaSpace
- Note: Students do not require a BlueJeans account – just the URL or Meeting ID to use via app or browser.
NIC MediaSpace (Kaltura)
British Columbia-hosted video storage, sharing and streaming platform allowing faculty and students to screencast/record, upload and share presentations, lectures, labs, student presentations, student assignments etc.
- NIC Access – Students: Through NIC MediaSpace or through Blackboard Learn under My Media link on institutional Page
- NIC Login – Students: with your instructor or student NIC credentials: username (students: 7-digit student number including the ‘n’) and password
- Company – Student Supports: Kaltura Website
- NIC Support – Students: Student Technical Services or Kaltura videos found under Learning Technologies (Students) on NIC MediaSpace
- Note: All users of NIC MediaSpace and Blackboard integration need to comply with NIC’s Acceptable Use Policy and not record, post or share inappropriate content. Users can indicate inappropriate content by clicking on the “flag” under a video.
BC-hosted blogging and micro website platform allowing for instructors and students to create websites, blogs, portfolios, reflections etc.
Open ETC is a free BC post-secondary institution site for any student or instructor member to use. Set up and managed by a group of post-secondary learning technology specialists called the Open EdTech Collaborative (Open ETC).
- NIC Access – Students: https://opened.ca/wordpress/
- NIC Login – Student Accounts: Webpage to sign up and get started (use your institutional email address to create an account login)
- Company – Student Support: WordPress Website
- NIC Support – Students: Student Technical Services or WordPress videos found under Learning Technologies (Students) on NIC MediaSpace
- Note: This service is set up for any BC post-secondary instructor or student to use. You must have a valid northislandcollege.ca (student email) or a nic.bc.ca (instructor email) address to get an account. Comply with NIC’s NIC’s Acceptable Use Policy when creating and posting content.