Student Brightspace Quick Start Guide
All courses with a start date of late April 2022 onwards will be only hosted in Brightspace. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
Handout: Student Brightspace Quick Start Guide: PDF Version
Video Tour: Brightspace for Students
Where do I find the link to the NIC Brightspace learning environment?
Direct URL: https://mycourses.nic.bc.ca OR
NIC Website: under “Quick Links” OR
MyNIC: look for “Brightspace” link
What do I need to log in?
- NIC email address (XXXX@northislandcollege.ca)
- NIC Password
- Don’t know your NIC email address? Here is another way to find it:
- Go to https://webmail.nic.bc.ca and log in with your student number as your username and NIC password
- Click your name in the top right corner to see your email appear in drop down area
- Don’t know your NIC password? Reset it here https://www3.nic.bc.ca/reset/
Where can I go for NIC student help?
- NIC’s Student Technical Services (STS) team can answer your computer questions:
- Brightspace getting started help: https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech/Brightspace
- STS Website: https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech
- Ask a Question: https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech/question
- Contact: https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech/Contact
- Phone: 250-334-5010 or outside Comox Valley 1-800-715-0914 ext. 5010
Where can I go to learn more about Brightspace?
- Brightspace YouTube Playlist for Learners: Webpage
- 23 videos (2-minute or less) for getting started with the Brightspace learning environment
- Learn Anywhere Website: Right here!
How can I see just the courses I want to frequently access?
PIN the courses you frequently access by clicking on the PUSH PIN icon on the top right of each course image found in the My Courses widget. Pinned courses will always show up under the Pinned tab along the top of the widget. OR
PIN the courses you frequently access via the Course Selector (waffle icon in top minibar) by clicking the PUSH PIN icon in the list of your courses. All pinned appear at the top of the list
in blue shading.
What if I can’t see one or more of my courses?
• If you can’t see a course in the My Courses widget or in the Course Selector (waffle icon in minibar), you
a) may not be registered in that course OR b) your instructor may not have made the course available yet.
• If a course is visible but ‘greyed out’ (unable to access), your instructor has made the course available, but it has a ‘start date’ that has not yet arrived. If you think you should have access, let your instructor know.
WHERE can I change my picture, notifications, and account settings?
From any Brightspace page, look to the top right corner and click on your name >
• Profile – Add a picture, a tagline, traditional name, share your hobbies
• Notifications – Instant Notifications list – choose what you want to be notified about AND find the links to the Pulse App for your Android or
Apple phone to help stay connected and on track with your courses
• Account Settings – Pronouns, Font Settings, Discussion settings, Email signature etc.
• Progress – Manage your progress across all your courses in one spot: see how you are doing with grades, discussions, accessing content, assignments etc.
WHERE can I download the brightspace pulse app?
- Locations: Apple App Store | Google Play
- Brightspace Pulse is a mobile app for students that can help you stay connected and on track with your Brightspace courses. It gives you one easy view of course calendars, readings, assignments, evaluations, grades, activity feed and news.
- Real-time alerts will let you know when classes are cancelled, rooms are moved, or new grades are available. The schedule view and weekly visualization enables you to quickly view what is due today, this week and upcoming across all your courses. NIC recommends you download the app to help stay in touch.
HOW CAN I EMAIL MY INSTRUCTOR?
- • From any location in Brightspace, go to top minibar and you’ll see a mail icon
> Email > Choose To or Address Book and select instructor OR within your course look for the Classlist and you can email your instructors there
- Type message > Send > message will go to instructor NIC email account
- Email goes only 1-way out of Brightspace to NIC student or instructor emails
- Replying to an email sent from Brightspace will go directly to NIC email accounts