BlueJeans is NIC’s video/web conferencing platform for live meetings, classes and office hours hosted on Canadian servers. It doesn’t require any account or special access for students. Students receive a URL link from their instructor and click on it. The link will prompt the student to download the app (https://www.bluejeans.com/downloads) as this little program makes for an easier connection and usability experience.
The same content below is also available for download in a 2-page document | PDF
- App for Desktop and Mobile – Student and Instructor: Downloads Webpage
- Company–Student Supports: BlueJeans Site or Support Videos
- NIC Support – Students: Student Technical Services or BlueJeans videos found under Learning Technologies (Students) part of NIC MediaSpace
What Technology Do I Require?
- No Account Needed: You do not need a BlueJeans account – only your instructor needs a NIC Account
- Device: A computer or laptop is recommended – do not join by smartphone – quality of the call may suffer
- Camera: Web conferencing camera if you are going to share an image of yourself. Cameras are often built into laptops or can purchase a camera to hang over a desktop monitor. Web cams often come with mics.
- Headset: Headset with a microphone is highly recommended as it does not pick up background noise. If you do not use a headset, you will need speakers and a quiet spot.
- Reliable Internet Connectivity: Good internet connection. Consider at least 50 Mbps as a good standard for class gatherings. Seek a wired internet connection or move closer to Wi-Fi connection.
- Desktop or Mobile App: While BlueJeans works satisfactorily via the Chrome browser, it is recommended you download the free BlueJeans desktop for better connectivity.
- Lighting: Try putting a desk lamp off to one side of your face to make you have a brighter image when on video camera or if you have a second monitor try this site where you can enable a full white screen or a white circle of light | Website
- Wi-Fi Connection for Mobile: Mobile phones work with BlueJeans, but some of the tools and buttons are not available or easily accessed. You need a strong Wi-Fi connection if you are using a mobile device. If not on a free or home wi-fi connection, you may incur data charges from your cell phone carrier.
- Call Diagnostics Test: Test if your device is capable of making BlueJeans calls over the Internet: https://diagnostics.bluejeans.com/
- Test Meeting: Join a private test meeting and speak with Jean the parrot. Link: https://bluejeans.com/111
Where Can I Learn More About BlueJeans?
- Info about BlueJeans Product | Website
- Download Page for Desktop or Mobile App | Website
- How to Download the Desktop App | Video
- How to Join a Meeting with the Desktop App | Video
- Instructions on Tools/Functions of Desktop App | Webpage
- Steps on how to Join with the Mobile App | Handout
- Mobile App Training | Video
- More: Other Training Videos
How Does it Work?
- Receive Link from Instructor: You will receive a link from your instructor inviting you to join online classes, individual consultations, or office hours. The link is a URL – example: https://bluejeans.com/1234567891
- Use Browser or App to Access Link: You will click on the provided link to access the digital class either via your browser (Chrome) or the BlueJeans (free) desktop app: website | If you have the desktop app already downloaded the URL will open a browser window but then move to the app. The app is the preferred.
What Can I Do to Improve My BlueJeans Experience?
- Strong Internet Connection: Be on a wired or strong wi-fi connection for best audio and video connections
- Disconnect from any VPN: Do not have any VPN (Virtual Private Network) connections on (if appropriate)
- Good Bandwidth: Turn off all other programs, apps or services using the internet including asking those in your residence to turn off streaming video / gaming programs (e.g., Netflix, music) for optimal bandwidth
- Audio Only: Turn off your video or turn off video along with using dial-in audio
- Well Lit Space: Make sure the light source is not behind you and your room is well lit
- Neutral and Public Background: Choose a spot so others cannot see what is happening in your location
- Quiet Location: Choose a quiet location when possible, so when you speak you can be heard by others
- Mute Mic: Keep your mic muted whenever you are not speaking
- Do not have access to a cell phone or computer? You can call in to a BlueJeans meeting with your phone.
If you are calling from inside Canada use this toll-free number: 1.778.807.4955 If you are calling in from outside Canada use this toll-free number: 1.866.599.3622
- Note: if you are calling from within Canada and you use the 1-866 number you will be charged long distance fees. Similarly, if you are calling from outside Canada and use the 1-778 number you will be charged. Use the correct area toll-free number.
- BlueJeans Website: More Best Practices
Where Can I get Support and Additional Help?
- Student Support: NIC Student Technical Services or BlueJeans Support Website or BlueJeans videos found under Learning Technologies (Students) part of NIC MediaSpace